
My little guy is still all smiles, even though today he has a cough. I think he got sick from being in the nursery at church. He doesn't seem to be running a fever which is good, so I'll just keep an eye on him. He didn't want to nap until 2:30 though!!! Crazy boy. So he should be extra tired tonight (hopefully).
Okay, so here comes a totally random question. When I change Alexander's diaper and it's wet, he always has crystally things on his buns like he put salt in his diaper. Is is seriously okay that the chemicals in diapers leave salty crystally crud on your baby's body parts? Can that really be healthy? The thought of cloth diapers totally grosses me out... but what's up with the salty crystally chemically thing??? Gross. Not to mention that the land fills are pretty much 1/3 disposable baby diapers. That's a lot of garbage.
6 comments:
The crystals in his diaper may actually mean that he is not taking in enough fluids. Certain foods he may eat "soak up" the fluids he may be already taken in. This is very common in infants and toddlers though usually more common in baby girls than boys. Continue to watch this because it may be early signs of a UTI
Oh yeah fogot to add, on a much lighter note, diapers can leak polymer crystals when they are "too" full. Maybe more frequent changes. If you are not using a good diaper, consider switching and if you are already, a good idea may be to consult a lactation consultant just in case your baby is not latching correctly of late and may not be getting enough milk.
Just some thoughts
Um... incase you didn't notice - this kid is almost exclusively breast fed and isn't exactly skinny... I' sure he's getting enough to drink : ) He actually drinks water on top of it since he started eating a little solids.
I've noticed the crystals in the diapers for months so I'm sure it's not a UTI.
The hint about a too full diaper however may be right on... since now that I think about it, I think the crystals are mostly there when he has a big soaked diaper.
We use a very good diaper, it's a special order diaper over the internet, not a cheap grocery store diaper. We buy them because they are supposed to be healthier for the baby than regular disposables, without most of the chemicals that traditional disposables have.
Okay, I have no idea what polymer crystals are... but I'm pretty sure that's the best theory you have so far : ) Thanks!
It's from the diaper being too full. When it gets over full, the little beads that soak up the moisture will come out and stick to his bum. If you put one through the washing machine, It will fill up and then explode those same beads all over your clothes and that can be a pain to get out. Also, if you look for it, you'll notice he has a lot more of them in his overnight diaper that you change first thing in the morning then any other time of the day.
It's nothing to worry about. The only thing to really do about it is maybe change him a little more often during the day. With both my kids, we change about every 2 hours during the day, then they stay in the same diaper over night. Oh, and the over night diaper, we get 1 size bigger then what they are currently wearing so we don't have problems with it getting too full.
I love cloth diapers, why do they gross you out?
Because I'm a wimp and they are gross. I like to throw something away and not have to wash out the poop and do laundry loads of poopy cloth diapers.
Post a Comment